Gente de Ligūria People of Liguria
Established in 1984 - Fondata net 1984
Charter 1990 Amended in 1995
BY-LAW NO. 1
A by-law relating generally to the conduct of the affairs of Gente de Liguria in Ontario (People of Liguria in Ontario). :
BE IT ENACTED AND IT IS HEREBY ENACTED as a by-law of Gente de Liguria in Ontario (hereinafter called the Association).
The Association is a non-profit organization and has no profit aims; and it
(1) proposes to unite all people whose roots are in the Land of Liguria and whoever, by marriage, residence or any other worthy cause, have expressed the desire, or want to associate themselves with it;
(2) endeavors to strengthen the bonds of brotherhood that have been established between Liguria and Canada;
(3) endeavors to maintain and to strengthen the bonds among all other Italo-Canadian "Associations", "Clubs" and/or corporations that have been established in Canada;
(4) proposes to maintain alive the cultural aspects of the Land of Liguria through any such means that it will deem to be necessary and useful to that purpose;
(5) proposes to make known the history, art, beauties and folklore of the Land of Liguria;
(6) endeavors to transmit to the new generation the large diversity of traditions, customs, language and the value of love for family and work, joy of life and integrity so rooted in the Gente de Liguria.
1. The Head Office of the Association shall be in Ontario, at such place therein as the directors may from time to time determine.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
2. Number: The business and affairs of the Association shall be managed by a Board ofDirectors consisting of no more than twelve people, each of whom shall be a member of theAssociation. , ;
3. Qualifications: The Members of the Board of Directors shall be resident of Canada or Canadian citizens.
4. Term of Office: A Director term of office shall be from the date on which he/she is elected and shall retire at the next annual meeting of the Association. A Director may stand for nomination at every annual meeting of the Association.
5. The Board of Directors shall mail to the members notice of time and place of the annual meeting. The notice shall state that any two members, qualified to vote at the annual meeting, may nominate any other person with the consent of the person to be nominated. Where no nominations are received, no additional notice needs to be sent. Directors shall be elected by show of hands unless a ballot is demanded by any member. A Director can be removed from office by a two/third majority at a general meeting and the vacancy so created can be filled by a simple majority vote. A simple majority of Directors may remove any Director who, without reasonable excuse, misses three consecutive regular meetings of the Board.
MEETING OF DIRECTORS
6. Place and date of meeting: A meeting of the Board of Directors may be convened by the Chairman, the Vice-Chairman, or any three Directors at any time, and the Secretary, when directed to do so by any such officers or any three Directors. Notice of such meeting shall be delivered or telephoned to each Director not less than two days before the meeting is to take place and shall be mailed to each Director not less than four days prior to the date of the meeting. A Directors' meeting may also be held without notice, immediately following the annual meeting of the Association, provided a quorum is present.
7. Quorum: A majority of the standing Directors shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business. No business shall be transacted at a meeting of Directors unless a quorum of the Board is present.
8. Voting: Questions at any meeting of the Board of Directors shall be decided by a majority of votes cast. In case of an equality of votes, the Chairman, in addition to his/her original vote, shall have a second casting vote. In the absence of the Chairman, her/his duties may be performed by the Vice-Chairman or such other Director as the Board may, from time to time, appoint for the purpose.
POWERS OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS
9. The Directors of the Association may administer the affairs of the Association, in its name, provided that such acts and things conform to its charter or otherwise be authorized to do so.
(1) The board is empowered to elect from among its members an Executive Committee to be composed by the Chairman, the Vice-Chairman(s), the Secretary and the Treasurer, by which said executive committee may exercise all the powers of the Board; and
(2) the Board may appoint an Advisory Committee to undertake and carry out designatedbusiness of the Board of Directors and to report its activities and recommendations as may berequired by the Board of Directors; and
(3) the Board regulates the admission of members and ex-officio members and/or honorary members including fees and dues of members; and
(4) the Board may confer honorary membership to such individuals as it may see fit.
10. Qualifications and Conditions: The membership shall consist of those applicants for membership whose roots are in the Land of Liguria and whoever, by marriage, residence or any other worthy cause, have expressed the desire, or want to associate themselves with it and that have paid their dues and/or are admitted as members by a resolution of the Board of Directors. Paid-up members are entitled to vote. No member, unless he/she is eighteen years of age, is entitled to vote. Honorary members are not entitled to vote.
ANNUAL AND OTHER MEETINGS OF MEMBERS
11. The annual or any other general meeting of the members shall be held at the head officeof the Association or elsewhere in Ontario as the Board of Directors may determine and onsuch day as the said Directors shall appoint.
(1) At every annual meeting, in addition to any other business that may be transacted, the report of the Directors, the financial statement and the report of the auditors shall be presented and a Board of Directors elected and auditors appointed for the ensuing year.
(2) A special general meeting of the Association may also be called, upon the written request of ten per cent (10%) of the members in good standing and eligible to vote at such meetings, provided that when so called notice of the same shall contain a statement of the purpose of the meeting and shall be mailed to each member at least ten days before the time fixed for holding of such meeting.
QUORUM OF MEMBERS
12. A quorun for the transaction of business at any meeting of members shall consist of no less than 25% of the membership eligible to vote who are present in person or represented by proxy. Provided always that, if these conditions are not met, the meeting shall be adjourned for seven days to be convened at the same place and time without further notice, and at such subsequent meeting the quorum shall consist of the number of members in attendance.
13. These by-laws may be amended or repealed by a two-third vote of members in good standing entitled to vote in attendance at any special general meeting or annual meeting, provided that notice in writing of the proposed amendments be given at least ten days in advance of the meeting at which such amendments are to be considered.
14. Whatever is omitted in this charter, may be transacted according to the laws of Ontario.ENACTED and passed by the Directors this 25th day of March, 1990. i t'
UNANIMOUSLY confirmed, ratified and approved by the members of the Association in general meeting assembled for that purpose, March, 25,1990. Amended October 1,1995.